FiveList: Five Things You Must Do at Funspot
Photo by Andy Hicks
Yesterday afternoon and evening, a slew of geeks descended on Funspot, the largest arcade in the world according to the Guinness Book of World Records. The event was organized by me and my Generation Goat co-host Jon Martin, and it was a damn good time.
Discussion will follow, I’m sure, on both Generation Goat and The Waysiders Podcast (two of their co-hosts were there, too). But, for now, in case you decide you’d like to take a trip to Funspot yourself, here is a FiveList of must-do tasks to accomplish on your visit.
- Play a 90s-era four-player quarter-eater through to the end, no matter how much money it takes. Options at Funspot include Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons, but sadly not X-Men.
- Fail miserably at Donkey Kong, asking your friends how Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe did it in The King of Kong.
- Bowl strings of both candlepin and ten-pin bowling, the candlepin to even the playing field and the ten-pin to make you feel like either a bad-ass or an ass-bad.
- Watch that one friend who can somehow get past the first move in Dragon’s Lair (or Dragon’s Lair II) and marvel at what a hack of a gamer you are by comparison.
- Score on yourself while playing air hockey, but still manage to make it a close game.