2009 GF5 Tournament Round 1 Winners in Movies/TV
The first round of competition in the Movies & TV bracket of the 1st Annual Geek Force Five Tournament is over! Some matchups were tight, while others were downright blowouts. Here’s a quick snapshot of how things went down.
- #1 seed Star Trek beat the sixteenth-seeded Twilight by a tidy margin, 83% to 17%. Phasers and bad toupees beat sissy vampires any day of the week, I guess.
- In the biggest landslide of the first round, The Colbert Report soundly trounced American Idol.
- The Pixar vs. Heroes matchup was a close one at the beginning, but Pixar pulled ahead in the second half.
- Lost pulled out an upset victory over the company who owns the network they’re on, Disney. It was very sad to watch John Locke kill Timon and Pumbaa, but all is fair in love and war, right?
- The Judd Apatow vs. Buffy the Vampire Slayer matchup was tight until the buzzer, with Buffy and pals pulling ahead in the final hours. This is a very sad day for those of us who love Judd and everything he does, but a joyous day for all those Buffy geeks out there.
- In another tight one, Lord of the Rings just barely eked out a victory over those upstarts from Battlestar Galactica (24 votes vs. 21).
- The Daily Show laid the smack down on the WWE, but we still don’t know what John Stewart’s wrestling name should be.
- And, last but not least, Star Wars and its Millenium Falcon made the Kessel run faster than the Serenity did, and therefore beat out Firefly for a spot in the second round.
Voting for the Games & Tech bracket starts soon, so stay tuned!