A Random Music Quiz
Andy posted his reponses to this over on My Space (where I have been spending entirely too much time lately) and I thought, “It’s been ages since I did one of these silly survey things and this one looks pretty interesting, so why not?” So, here it is. Because, really, why not?
1. Of all the bands/artists in your cd/record collection, which one do you own the most albums by?
Probably a tie between Aerosmith and Tori Amos. Thinking myself some sort of completist, I was buying every damn single that Tori put out for years, which skews things in her favor a bit.
2. What was the last song you listened to?
I’m listening to O.M.D.‘s “If You Leave” right now, via the wonders of Internet radio. I’m not sure what was on before this. And now “Overkill” by Men at Work is coming on… Anyone remember that episode of Scrubs were Colin Hay followed Zach Braff’s character around playing this song on an acoustic guitar during the opening sequence? It was hilarious. (There was an entry written directly after that episode, I swear, but I can’t find it right now.)
3. What’s in your record/cd player right now?
What’s a CD player? Oh, you mean that thing I had before my iPod… I have no idea what’s in it. Hopefully nothing, as it’s in the bottom of a box collecting dust.
4. What song would you say sums you up?
It changes all the damn time. Right now, Nine Inch Nails’ “Right Where it Belongs.”
5. What’s your favorite local band?
The Dresden Dolls. I’m also a huge Kay Hanley fan, but she is not technically, by herself, a “band”.
6. What was the last show you attended?
7. What was the greatest show you’ve ever been to?
8. What’s the worst band you’ve ever seen in concert?
Death From Above 1979 pretty much takes the cake. They opened for NIN at the November show I mentioned above and they were just atrocious.
9. What band do you love musically but hate the members of?
It isn’t an original answer, but I’d have to say Oasis.
10. What is the most musically involved you have ever been?
I was in a band in late high school/early college that might’ve had a wee bit of potential if we’d focused on getting really good at a couple of songs instead of trying to put on two-hour shows and put together full-length albums right off the bat. Played one gig as part of a college duo that went ridiculously well, but we never played again. Then, in 2000/2001, I put out a full-length record under the moniker, Pop Bubblegum Trash. We even made a video. Around that time, I also started jamming as part of another duo, but it never worked out.
Now I do scareoke and my musical ambitions reach no further than organizing a huge jam for my 30th birthday in 2007.
11. What show are you looking forward to?
I would love to see the Dresden Dolls again. I’ve only seen them once, when they opened for NIN, but I’d love to see a full show. Only thing is, I’m convinced I’m not hip enough to attend any of their full-on gigs. I’d have no idea what to wear.
12. What is your favorite band shirt?
The NIN shirt I got in 1995. It doesn’t fit anymore, but I can’t bring myself to throw it out because the image on the front (of a coil of rope) still disturbs me every time I look at it, which is hard to do with me.
13. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?
This is a tough one… Maybe Sarah McLachlan… I love the personality she shows in interviews and in more intimate settings (like the studio parts of her Fumbling Towards Ecstasy concert/behind the scenes video).
14. What musician would you like to be in love with for a day?
Are they in love with me back, or is it unrequited? I guess I’d have to say Sarah again, because, while we were together that day, maybe I’d get to hear her sing, and then, after we broke up, she’d write a brilliant song about our doomed relationship. She’s great with “love ending badly” songs.
15. Metal question-Jeans and Leather vs. Cracker Jack clothes?
Jeans and leather.
16. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?
Solo Ozzy. I’m a pop bubblegum whore and Ozzy’s solo stuff is so much more catchy.
17. Commodores or solo Lionel Ritchie?
Andy answered this perfectly when he wrote, “Ooh what a feelin. Dancin on the ceilin.”
18. Punk rock, hip hop or heavy metal?
19. Doesn’t Primus suck?
Yes. Winona’s got a big brown beaver, too.
20. Name 4 flawless albums:
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral; Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy; Nirvana - MTV Unplugged Live In New York; Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
21. Did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek?
I hope so. I’m seriously lacking in street cred.
22. What was the greatest decade for music?
For this pop bubblegum whore, the 1980s for sure. There has never been a greater decade in terms of pop music and the underground/less popular stuff was quite good as well.
23. How many music-related videos/dvds do you own?
24. Do you like Journey?
25. Don’t try to pretend you don’t!
Dude, I totally admit it. You got me.
26. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?
To the “cool” kids, The Crow; when I’m being totally honest, Jerry Maguire.
27. What was your last musical “phase” before you wisened up?
I don’t believe in phases. If I like something, I like it and fuck anyone who thinks I’m a jackass because of it.
28. What’s the crappiest CD/record/etc. you’ve ever bought?
Probably the Ricky Martin CD with “Livin La Vida Loca” on it. I really have no idea what I was thinking. When my iPod’s on shuffle and that shit comes on, I feel the urge to vomit.
29. Do you prefer vinyl or CDs?
Neither. I worship at the the altar of Steve Jobs and would prefer that everything came in bits and bytes, thank you. They take up less room, they don’t scratch, and I can fit thousands of them in my pocket.