Thirty-One (11 of 31)

Funniest moment of the day: While standing in the checkout at Shaws Supermarket, I noticed that two out of the four couples featured on the cover of PEOPLE Magazine’s 100 Greatest Celebrity Weddings were also featured on the covers of nearby tabloids sitting with headlines containing the words divorce and kicked out in big, blocky letters. I really do wish I’d had my camera on me. And I can’t find any images of said covers online at the moment, so my description will have to suffice for now.

We spent most of the day at Mom and Dad’s, having an early Christmas party with the members of the extended family who won’t be around on Christmas. That was fun, except perhaps for my youngest cousins, who weren’t able to use me as a jungle gym as they have in past years, because of my shoulder.

In the evening, on our way home, we stopped by the Border’s Bookstore cafe to catch the last half-hour of a performance by Beth’s fiancée’s brass quartet, which was quite nice.

And all of these random, yet wonderful events have me sitting here at a loss as to what to do for a throwback entry for this day. There’s no real unifying theme here, nothing I’ve written on twenty million times or anything, so here’s just a random entry about the days I spent shellacking donuts at the Merrimack Repertory Theater.

Shellacking Donuts

A very quick note should be made about my experience shellacking donuts during my internship at the Merrimack Repertory Theater in Lowell, MA. I did a number of wacky theater-related things during my time there, working with the props mistress and my old friend Athena who’d gone to Bradford for a time. None of them sticks out in my head as much, or comes up as often in random conversation, as my experience shellacking donuts for use in one of the shows.

The show, the name of which I cannot recall, involved a number of mentally challenged older men living together. One of them either worked at a donut stand or really liked donuts. Therefore, there was a need for a heap of donuts to be around for the show and they weren’t going to buy three or four dozen donuts or whatever it was every night. Instead, they had me shellack the donuts to preserve them.

It was hard work. I went in twice each day I was there in the week leading up to the show and most of the time I was hungry and craving a donut. I basically just painted this shit onto each donut and then waited for a while, flipped them over and did the other side. The room I worked in didn’t have the best ventilation either, so it was not altogether pleasant.

While I’m at it, I might as well describe some of the other things I did for the MRT, in case I don’t remember to write them down elsewhere. I drove their van to get props a lot. Once I had to go into a McDonalds to ask for coffee cups and McDonalds bags without actually ordering anything. I even got called in one weekend to take the van to the gas station and vacuum it. I also spent a lot of time with the props mistress, whose name escapes me, and we went to the storage warehouse in Lawrence a lot to get bigger set pieces and such.