Top 25 Most Played Songs in 2009
Okay, it’s time for me to fess up and rattle off the list of the 25 songs I listened to the most in 2009 (according to Last.fm).
- “This Year” by The Mountain Goats
- “Bruises” by Chairlift
- “Hometown Glory” by Adele
- “Sometime Around Midnight” by The Airborne Toxic Event
- “Just Dance” by Lady GaGa
- “My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson
- “Shake It” by Metro Station
- “I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You” by Black Kids
- “Love Love Love” by The Mountain Goats
- “It’s A Shame About Ray” by The Lemonheads
- “Hot N Cold” by Katy Perry
- “The Moneymaker” by Rilo Kiley
- “Shut Up And Let Me Go” by The Ting Tings
- “Mercy” by Duffy
- “Love is Dead” by The Lovemakers
- “Strange Kind of Love” by Trent Reznor, Jeordie White, Atticus Ross, and Peter Murphy
- “Foundations” by Kate Nash
- “One of the Three” by James
- “Just Like Honey” by The Jesus and Mary Chain
- “U Want Me 2” by Sarah McLachlan
- “Disorder” by Joy Division
- “Astronaut: A Short History of Nearly Nothing” by Amanda Palmer
- “Dark Halls” by Au Revoir Simone
- “Great DJ” by The Ting Tings
- “Handlebars” by Flobots
What strikes me most about this list is how much of it is comprised of songs I purchased with iTunes gift cards just after Christmas 2008 based on lists and suggestions made by my friends Andy Hicks and Jon Martin for that year.
If I had to guess, the 2010 list will be far more diverse (and, potentially, current), as the latter half of 2009 finally found me investigating new music on my own again. “Love is Dead” by The Lovemakers is a perfect example of this: a song I totally latched onto on my own (it’s become one of my favorite songs of all time). Were this a list of the top 25 of the last six months, it would be number one.
So, whaddayathink? Anything on here that’s cause for disowning me? And hey, while we’re talking best ofs and most popular lists and such, what would yours look like?