Top 25 Songs of 2018
Every year since 2007, I've taken a little bit of time out of my New Year's Eve to figure out which songs I listened to the most during the preceding 365 days. As with books, movies, and TV shows, the songs that I get into usually end up being songs that I obsess over, songs that become a de-facto soundtrack to specific parts of my year. That always makes putting this list together a fun chore.
But it's still a chore.
I start with a Smart Playlist in iTunes that's limited to the 50 songs with the highest play count. iTunes on my Mac and the Music app on iOS—they tend to do a decent job of keeping track of when songs are played. But there are times when I feel pretty confident that they've missed stuff, when the numbers alone don't quite capture which songs resonated the most with me in the year that's coming to a close.
And so, I fucked around with the order of the list more than I ever have. There are songs not here that were played more than some of the songs on the bottom of the list, but some of the songs at the bottom of the list feel way more "2018" to me than the cuts that I cut. The result is a list that feels way more honest to me than it would have if I'd just trusted the algorithm.
- "I Want It That Way" (feat. Casey Abrams) by Scary Pockets
- "Ben Franklin's Song" by The Decemberists
- "This Is Me (from The Greatest Showman)" by Kesha
- "Rocket Girl (feat. Betty Who)" by Lemaitre
- "Strangers Again" by Against the Current
- "Shoot This Arrow" by Kate Voegele
- "Ghost" by Awkwafina
- "Ring Ring (feat. Rich the Kid)" by Jax Jones & Mabel
- "Can't Do Better" by Kim Petras
- "Drink About" by Seeb & Dagny
- "Good Boys" by Josie Dunne
- "The Power of Love" by Pomplamoose
- "Back to You" by Selena Gomez
- "Bitches" by Tove Lo, Charli XCX, Icona Pop, Elliphant & ALMA
- "The Middle" by Zedd, Maren Moris & Grey
- "When the Summer Ends" by Savoir Adore
- "Helpless" by The Regrettes
- "Cinematic Goodbye (Acoustic)" by Eden xo
- "Friends" by Anne-Marie & Marshmello
- "Let You Be Right" by Meghan Trainor
- "Tokyo" by Joan
- "Translucent" by Morgxn
- "Tokyo Nights" by Digital Farm Animals, Shaun Frank & Dragonette
- "Thriller (Pylot Remix)" by Scandroid
- "Boys" by Lizzo
It's a pop- and dance-heavy list, but in a year that saw me working on my mental health and embracing truths about myself that I tend to shy away from… a poppy dance-heavy list feels accurate. Did I listen to a helluva lot of alternative and weird shit, too? Of course! But these end-of-the-year lists, I've decided, are more about reminding myself of the high points than the low points.